Saturday, August 15, 2009

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

I wasn't optimistic going into the season but what a brilliant start to the season by Arsenal. I am not a big fan of the 4-3-3 formation especially with Bendtner playing on the right. However when the game started, the team looked really comfortable moving the ball around. Then it started raining, raining goals that is and it just wouldn't stop. By the end of the first half Arsenal were 3 goals up against Everton in Goodison park. At the end of the game, Arsenal had scored 6 goals. The only blight on the game was Arsenal couldnt keep a clean sheet.

Tactically I thought the way the midfield was set up was perfect because it played to the strengths of the players. Song anchored the midfield and did an amazing job playing the holding role in central midfield while Cesc and Denilson were given free roles. Denilson has been criticized a lot the past year but I think restricting him to that defensive midfield role was part of the problem. Denilson in my opinion is a box to box player and he is better when he is given a free role further up the pitch. Finally Cesc Fabregas led like a captain and put his stamp on the game with 2 goals and 2 assists.

My man of the match was Vermaelen which is rather ironic because I was very critical of the signing. I thought he was too short, too young and came from a poor Ajax defence. Today, Vermaelen looked very calm and collected at the back, he competed in the air against the taller Everton players and was excellent when the ball was on the ground. The defence still looked shaky during the game but it was good to see a defender that could actually defend and he looked comfortable defending unlike Kolo Troure who looked to be in a state of constant panic the last couple of years.



Talk about Arsenal not finishing in the top 4, I think today Arsenal put their marker down on the title challenge. I still think we need a couple of signings to freshen things up and improve the depth of the team but I am no longer as worried as I was before the start of the season.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent blog!! I like your honesty man!! Anyways as you said we still need a couple of players!! By the way a great improvement in our finishing and shots versus shorts on goal ratio!!

    Yogesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree that vermaelen was the man of the match. It was clear that their plan was to play route 1 against us, and test our cb combo. Billy and Thomas did more than enough to cope with their height, and I was very impressed. I've always thought that Billy was a world class center half; he just needed to calm down, get his head straight, and do his job instead of blaming others. After he got his captaincy removed, he has been rock solid. I think Diaby will be playing well also when he comes back. This will be an interesting season. Nice blog by the way. Take it easy.

    cyclingooner aka themanfromseoul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phato. Good to hear from you again and good to see your confidence in this team again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog! It was great to see Arsenal hustle so much for the whole game and if that is done on a consistant basis, game in game out, we will most definitely be serious contenders.

    Gunner4liife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another boring blog about Wenger's "youngsters". Let us not forget that these young men are paid professionals, so why should we look at them differently? hmmm? No gold stars and lollipops in this league, sorry. Give me a break. They will crash and burn like always, Citeh to take fourth, Blues or Scousers for the title. That's the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a surprise for me, Had I know, I'd put cesc as my captain on my fantasy premier LOL...

    I agree with you about the work rate of our players, especially our 3 forwards.

    boodeer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phato this is brilliant! I have always looked at your messages on the board as a bit arrogant, a know-it-all kind of person but I doff my hat at you for this effort. It looks and "sounds" professional. Keep it up man.I appreciate you lots....now

    ReplyDelete
  8. This season I am trying a new humble approach. I dont know what to expect from the team but I am not going to pretend I am coach. I would celebrate every victory but I wouldnt get worked up over losses. Hopefully that way I would really enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete